Trinity Cricket Club was formed in 1923, taking it’s name from the nearby Trinity Methodist Church which owned the land. In 2012, the club prefixed its original name with ‘Stockport’ to identify more closely with its locality.
The site of the ground (on what is now Highfield Road in Bramhall) could be seen on maps of Bramhall in 1842. There were two adjacent plots on the tithe map named ‘Nearer Priest Field’ and ‘Great Marlfield’. The marl pit is now a pond just beyond the trees at the far corner of the ground. The cricket club has suffered with drainage difficulties due to the depth of the clay for its whole existence.
The plot was purchased by the Trustees of the Church in 1923 and a cricket pitch and tennis courts were erected together with a wooden pavilion.
Facilities remained rudimentary for many years – it was only in 1990 that a new pavilion was built with a grant of £5,000 from the Sports Council, £3,000 from Trinity Methodist Church and the efforts and loans of the cricket club members.
For many years Trinity Cricket Club comprised of two senior teams and one junior age group team. In 2010 the Women’s section was born when Poynton Women opted to join the club. At the same time the junior section was expanded with the aim of competing across all age groups from under-11 to under-18.
On the pitch the club transformed itself and the 1st XI have seen four promotions in 8 years. Success has been shared across the club with cup wins and promotions across the senior and women’s teams.
The club is now striving to update its facilities and raise the funds necessary to further develop.
Notable Club Development Milestones:
1990: new pavilion built and further refurbished in 2007.
2001: drains were laid and extended in 2005.
2008: attained Clubmark status.
2010: completion of a 2 bay net area, a new scorebox, cosmetic upgrade to the away changing rooms and drainage treatments to the outfield.
2011: waterhog machine acquired to allow mopping of surface water.
- we signed up to the NatWest Cricket Force and were successful benefactors of the NatWest Community Force programme.
- two new gates at the ground entrance.
2012: an extended kitchen and new umpires room built in the pavilion.
- a sizeable donation from the CoOp Community Fund
2013: new covers acquired
2014: further groundworks undertaken to level and extend outfield
2015: winners of the Community Grassroots Fund financed by Skipton Building Society
2016: a boundary rope and winder were purchased out of the profits from our Awards Night together with a generous donation form a member. A second Bowdry was aquired using a grant from Stockport Sports Trust.
2017: a grant from M/cr Airport Community Trust allowed the upgrade of shower and toilet areas
2018: extensive drainage work was undertaken using the proceeds of various fundraising activities during the season. In addition the club invested further in its practice facilities with a roll-on net cage.